Thursday, June 7, 2007

Keep Going, and in Different Directions


My "Earn" is turning out to be more of an "urn"...

I had this clever idea for the urn I'm creating for the ClayNichols Urn Show (see sidebar). It was going to be called "Earn" and be made with images of money; maybe it still will. But right now it's not going that way. I haven't been able to make the money part of it work, quite. And suddenly that pink scrap of tissue looked a heck of a lot better, next to the green areas I painted already. I struggled:

"But I had this terribly clever idea!" vs. "This pink has intriguing possibilities!"

I didn't get anywhere with this yesterday, except to realize that art has a life of it's own, if you let it. (My design background left me a tad goal-oriented, so this was actually a big step.) I was thinking of Dale Chihuly, and how he does these amazing sketches, but then lets the pieces go off in different directions, if they want to ...

And my urn wants to go off somewhere else...

No comments: