Thursday, October 11, 2007

It's NOT Like What You Did in Kindergarten

I'm determined. I'm determined to make this blog into something that feels like me; feels "right" and says what it means. And describes and presents itself as such. So I've (yet again) changed the color: I'm decidedly NOT an orange person, and the color was beginning to get old. I'm working on a new blog title and description, and I know it doesn't have to be earth-shattering, just show up on the radar, but I'm looking for the clever thing, and it's not appearing yet. No boring blog titles here...Art Notebook; egads! What was I thinking! Of course, I'd read something about having the "right" words in the title, etc etc...

So the blog is still evolving, as am I. And after a recent comment by Luann Udell (if you haven't checked out her blog and site yet, do so NOW), I've determined that I'm ready to stop being evasive about the papier mache. I'm an ARTIST, dammit. It doesn't matter what medium I use, and the fact that I create in paper does not discount my vision. Do I sound defensive? Oops. I'm not, really. But I am tired of hearing people say, "oh, like we did in grade school!" It's bloody well NOT the same thing! (I'm learning to swear like a Brit.) That's like saying that a Picasso is like something you did in kindergarten with your tempera paints. With the nose in a wierd place.

4 comments:

grovecanada said...

if you say you are a 'sculptor' instead of an 'artist', it sounds a little more specific & people tend to think you are more serious...the word artist is so overused, it doesn't get taken as seriously...Many many people refer to Picasso's work as being kindergarten worthy...I used to get the reference too & it pissed me off too so I made a specific effort to add a facet of sophisticated complexity that was apparently the work of an accomplished adult...you know when you look at a Japanese art print,type 'Kuniyoshi' into a search as an example, he does almost comic book style drawings but the detail makes it look difficult...or just that it took a really long time to do...apparently that is impressive...also, once a year, put on a suit, a really serious houndstooth with good shoes , hair , the whole office business look...then go walking around to see your people...you won't believe how they change their perception of you...plus you may sell to a whole new block of people...then go home & remember that the whole childlike thing that you do is what makes you special and unique and ignore everything else I have just written...

melissa lanitis gregory said...

Well said! It's a fine line between the childlike joy and curiousity of creating the work, and presenting ourselves as professionals; between not taking ourselves too seriously, AND taking ourselves COMPLETELY seriously. I think it's a bit harder with the papier mache, but when I re-read that post I sounded a bit too defensive...

I like the "houndstooth suit" idea; maybe some wingtip shoes? Thanks for the input...don't know about the "sculptor" moniker for my work, but the word "artist" does tend to elicit a ho-hum response sometimes!

grovecanada said...

actually, I have recently started buying this designer's clothing on ebay at a fraction of the price so I can now afford it...(awesome embroidery by a thing called '3J workshop')...so, for once I am wearing really amazing clothing...You wouldn't believe the difference in reaction I am getting...It's like everything I say has meaning now, just cause I am dressed well...so, it doesn't have to be houndstooth or out of character per se really, just be aware that dressing everyday in clothing that is visually an artwork itself is a great selling tool, conversation starter & makes people say nicer things...really...(although your credit cards will be maxed out-but you will feel great too...plus, buying on ebay will teach you about selling on ebay...which is the hot new thing to do...)lol Sari

melissa lanitis gregory said...

I checked out the 3J clothing...really unusual and cool stuff! (this could be dangerous; I could have bid on one of the first shirts I saw but it wasn't my size!) It's very true, though, that we are judged by how we dress. I have been making a point of dressing more like "an adult" as Luann Udell says, but I usually get my clothes from thrift stores or swaps. Will have to look into the eBay option. Although if I'm working and have to run into town later, alot of the time I don't have time to change and end up in the store in my paint-spattered jeans!