Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Birth of the Art Helmet


I'm starting a new art genre:
the Art Helmet.

This one is based on candy corn (and yes, there was a thought process behind it, but I can't quite follow it anymore...). I went to the store yesterday to buy actual candy corn, for reference. And you know what? Candy corn is REALLY pointy. Much more so than this. So, the next ceremonial Candy Corn Helmet will be more pointy. In the meantime, we have the stubby version. Which I kind of like; it reminds me of something Fred Flintstone would wear.
The frame was created with chicken wire (can we PLEASE have another name for this product?) and covered with layers of paper and glue. The ridiculously tiny horns and edges are an epoxy resin that I first used on "Bear Your Soul". I'll post more photos as I go...
Shelley Hocknell and I are going up to Truckee to visit with Carole Sesko and her critique group tomorrow, and I think I'll bring this. The hubby says it's "not my best idea" but it makes me laugh every time I look at it! (I can almost hear the Vikings now: "Lovely Spam, wonderful Spam!")







4 comments:

A Journey Illustrated said...

I like it. It is quite Flintstone-esque with a Viking influence that is sure to make one giggle - especially upon putting it on! (Kristen's hand shoots up in the air) Can I try it on?

melissa lanitis gregory said...

Weeeelll,
you MIGHT have been able to try it on...at one point. But when I added the epoxy resin at the base, it lost the flexiblity, and it's not actually head-shaped. So it needed to bend a bit to put it on...
I know, because I tried!

The next one will be more round, and hopefully WILL fit, because that was the whole point, really!

A Journey Illustrated said...

Maybe Walter could try it on? He will need something to replace the lampshade he's been sporting lately.

melissa lanitis gregory said...

It will look divine on Walter.