Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Get Dumb

Here's a quote from Cynthia Morris's website:

"If you have been cursed by your own success, please don't let it stop you. Reconnect with your original impulse for creating. Forget the ego, who loves the accolades and who also reminds you not to blow it. ... forget the praise, get dumb and become interested in the materials of your art. Don't let the curse of success stop the creative flow!"

I almost didn't read this because of the word "success" in the title. She's not talking about Success (capital "S") but success in the sense of completing work that you're happy with and maybe others have praised.

I was glad to hear that this morning. I'm working on three new, larger pieces; one each of three new forms... with a show coming up. That doesn't leave a lot of room for play, and hence error. "The Committee" (those voices in my head; can't remember who I stole that from...) is saying: "Don't blow it." But it must be as she said: get dumb, and become interested. Luckily this show is a group effort, so if they don't work out, I can hide behind the productivity of my friends!

(ironically, the other post in which I quote Cynthia is titled "Idiot Zone"...click here for her newsletter.)

No comments: